Saturday, September 24, 2005

Work Stuff

As the Controller for Transit Television Network it's been a busy couple of weeks. Now that all the news is out, I think I can talk about a few things. (If I can't, you'll see a "begging for employment" blog entry here next.)

We've got a new CEO and I'm excited about the direction the company is headed in. We're making a lot of directional changes that I've been looking for for a while. Unfortunately, that meant some personnel changes as well. We're changing our sales focus and that let to a significant change in sales staff. I'm not trying to be PC, I don't want to be cruel to people who are now looking for a job.

It's always tough knowing these things are coming and not being able to talk about it. However, I've talked to a lot of people over the years who felt that getting let go was the best thing that ever happened to them. It forced them to do things they wouldn't otherwise do, start a business, change careers, etc. I wish nothing but the best to those who had to go and I hope something positive comes from it.

On a more positive note, we got a little good press from our parent, Torstar. Apparently, they are willing to keep to sending us money to build our little transit advertising business. Yeah, we already know this but it nice to see them say to the analysts once in a while.

Torstar is a publicly traded company on the Toronto Stock Exchange. Additionally, we are not a separately reported subsidiary in their financial statements. Consequently, I'm careful about what I say here regarding work, so I tend to stick to the technical stuff rather than the business nitty gritty. I may do some more business stuff in the future though. It depends on if anyone actually reads this!

No comments: