Sunday, December 11, 2005

What Would It Take to Switch me from GMail?

Probably not much. I have multiple email accounts. Yahoo, Earthlink, Gmail, Work etc. I use my gmail account not for the storage but for the spam filters. Yahoo's are pretty bad but getting better. An you have to pay for POP access. For Earthlink I use a white list but it's a pain to manage. Work has very few issues but it's my work acocunt. Since I own the mpolino domain, I can forward it to any email service I want. This makes it easy to change services but keep an @mpolino.com email address.

I've blogged before that I don't like gmail's interface. While implementing Getting Things Done, I've cleaned up my email and decided on Outlook as my single point email box. Everything now forwards to Outlook. I have good backups for my local archive and solid webmail access via Outlook. I don't like being tied to a single provider. Too often one provider leapfrogs another in feature and I want to try it. So what would it take to move me from gmail? Not much. Just solid spam filters. I'm looking forward to trying the new Hotmail beta.

No comments: