Monday, December 11, 2006

A Parent's Plea, in Song

I like jingles. Some songs just lend themselves to re-writing. "We're going to the chapel" easily becomes, "We're going to McDonalds" and you're off from there. That song can have a million variations. I don't know where this comes from and while my kids love the songs, they look at me funny for coming up with them. They wonder about how I'm wired. Do I have a Weird Al Yankovic gene?

Lately I've had Feliz Navidad in my head. From alliterative standpoint, words like Please and Fleas fit well in this song. So "Fleas in my bed" or "Please clean your room" are easy to start with and grow from. For my children then, in the tune of "Feliz Navidad":

Please clean your room (da ta da ta da)
Please clean your room (da ta da ta da)
Please clean your room or you'll be grounded for at least a month.

I really wish you would clean your room

I really wish you would clean your room
Please I'm begging you to clean your room, from the bottom of my heart.

Real jingle writers have nothing to fear from my little hobby. I took piano for a year in elementary school. No joke, my teacher quit. She had some lame excuse about a baby sitter, but I know the truth. If my kids don't move fast enough for school in the morning, I sing to them. It works, they leave the house fast. This method however, punishes my wife as well and she has done nothing wrong. So please kids, for your mother's sake. Clean your room!

No comments: