Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Firefox Crash and Burn

I first installed Firefox 3.0 on launch day and within a day or two had it running on all my machines.  I've been pretty happy with it and all my add-ons seem to work fine. It's just that well, Firefox 3.0 crashes. A lot.  On all of my PC's. Everything from a Celeron based UMPC to a dual core Thinkpad to an AMD64 based Gateway.

Don't get me wrong, it recovers elegantly from a crash (most of the time) but if this were IE, there would be a lot of screaming, press coverage and hand wringing.

Just to give you an idea, I've had 2 crashes this morning on my UMPC. On my much more powerful Media Center PC , Firefox crashed yesterday and showed the most bizarre behavior afterwards. It refused to acknowledge my home page and kept bringing up a blank start page. It turns out that Firefox didn't really close but that there was an open session in the background. Killing that fixed the problem but it sure wasn't an obvious fix given what was going on.

So now I'm stuck with the old  Microsoft dilemma in Firefox. Is it the browser or the add-ons that are causing the problem? The more things change...

No comments: