Saturday, October 01, 2005

"R" is for "Really Stupid Looking"

I saw the new Mercedes "R" class in a commercial recently. I thought "stationwagon". But Mercedes has had wagons for a while, no big deal. I saw one on the road the other day and thought "Chrysler Pacifica, but uglier and more German looking".

We've seen Mercedes influence on Chrysler (Crossfire, maybe the 300) but now we're seeing Chrysler's influence on Mercedes. Or maybe they're trying to do an Escalade thing, take a Pacifica, make it look like a Mercedes and charge a lot more for it? Nah, couldn't be.

Don't misunderstand, I don't think the Pacifica is stupid looking. It's not my cup of tea but it not in the butt ugly class that the Aztek and Rendevous dominate in. Pontiac seems to be getting it's act together finally. I'm not so sure about Mercedes.

No comments: