Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Google Finance: If You Can't Say Something Nice...

Google release their Finance site into (perpetual?) beta today. I've ragged on Google before here and here and here and here, well you get the idea. I was prepared to be underwhelmed by Google Finance. After all, Yahoo! and Microsoft both have pretty strong finance sites. Instead, I was impressed. Why? First ease of use. I didn't have to know the ticker symbol of the company I was looking for and they didn't make me look it up someplace else. Yes that's a big deal. When the company you work for is traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange, it seems like everyone handles the ticker differently. (TS-NVB.TO in Yahoo, CA:TS.NV.B in MSN for example.) Second, they had broader news coverage of a Canadian company than either Yahoo or MSN, including MSN Canada!

So far the offering is pretty bare bones, MSN Money is chock full of tools and remains my preferred site for starting research but for basic info, Google Finance looks good. I've got some abuse for Google but I'll save it for another post. This one can be all roses and sunshine.

No comments: