- Dad had router problems and couldn't see my post in tribute to my Grandmother, so I pulled out the Q1 in a restaurant, connected via Bluetooth on my phone and he got to read it right there in the restaurant. He also checked his mail while he was online.
- A whirlwind day this week was perfect for the Q1. Working breakfast at Disney, 401k meeting at the office and a board meeting lunch with a local TV station where I'm a board member. The Q1 let me take notes throughout, respond to emails on the run and come back into the office fully caught up. I charged the battery in the car and it almost made it to the end of a long board meeting.
- Juice dropped some new podcasts onto my Q1 today and I got to listen to an unexpected podcast in the car on my way home. (Old fashioned cassette adapter)
The Q1 continues to turn heads everytime I use it and most people seem more impressed with the technology than put off by the price. As promised, here are some photos:
Here's the Q1 with my Inspiron 700m (12 inch, 4.1 lb laptop), my Smartphone and a ruggedized Pocket PC in the background for perspective.
Here is my normal setup at work with the Q1 plugged into my 19 inch monitor and keyboard.
- I'm considering following Kevin Tofel's lead and upgrading the RAM. 1 gig would really help compensate for the Celeron processor
- Windows Media 11 beta restarts whatever was playing when you go into standby. It warns you, but it's annoying. iTunes recovers from stanby mode gracefully. I hope this is a beta issue.
- IE7 beta won't let me lock the Windows Live toolbar next to the classic menu. I have to move it every time. I hope this is a beta issue.
- I've ordered the Samsung Q1 portable keyboard. It's backordered from Best Buy.
- I'm also waiting for the USB to PCMCIA for EVDO adapter. Anyone need an extra acronym? I seem to have plenty in that last sentence.
- Outlook works beautifully, even over a slow connection, when using HTTP to connect to Exchange. If you're not doing this, lookup "connect to my exchange box using HTTP" in your favorite search engine.
- I got the Linksys Compact Flash WiFi adapter working. I don't know why I would need it, I just wanted to see if I could. I haven't gotten my old Ambicom CF Card modem working yet.
- I find I use landscape mode a lot more than I thought, even for note taking and Tablet Enhancements for Outlook is a must have.
- MS will need to do more to support touch screens. Too often, things are just too small to use your finger.